Friday, September 25, 2009

What the blank...

I decided to try dying.
I bought a few packets of different powdered drink mixes and some dye-able yarn from KnitPicks .

I read a lot of different methods on line and came up with a reasonable way to test the waters (or dye... if you have to be specific.. gah).

I knit up a blank from the yarn, then cut a large square from a plastic grocery bag (I didn't have anything else available and it sounds more green. Recycle baby!) I placed the yarn blank in some warm water and started the mad scientist routine.

1. A little dye a lot of water
2. Place the moist yarn blank on the plastic
3. Pour the mix onto the yarn blank
4. Wrap the plastic around the yarn blank
5. Put it in a sandwich bag (do not seal)
6. Microwave for a minute
7. Let set for a minute
8. Microwave for a minute
9. Let set for a minute
10. Microwave for 2 minutes
11. Let it cool. Take out the yarn and wash it in dish soap and warm water
12. Hang up to dry.
I'm happy with the results. There will be something that comes from this experiment!!!

And, in case you need to know, that is a Dr. Horrible little pony! I found it online with some other little pony modification images. This just had to be shared! They have a Captain Hammer, too!